Windows XP-Dual Boot

jaycup 22:47 28 Jul 03

I have had to re-install Windows XP to my C drive I already have a back-up system on my D Drive and previousely this was set up for dual booting. now I cannot find the file I had explaining how to set this up I think it was via a Notepad Boot-Loader File. Can anyone give me the details.

powerless 01:20 29 Jul 03

C:\boot.ini

temp003 06:25 29 Jul 03

You can access the file by going to the C drive in My Computer, click Tools, Folder Options, view tab, and (1) tick Show hidden files and folders (2) Untick Hide file extensions for known file types, and (3) Untick Hide protected operating system files. Click OK. You'll then see the file. Double click it to open in Notepad for editing.

Or right click My Computer, select Properties, Advanced tab, Startup and Recovery, Settings. Under System Startup, click Edit. Boot.ini will open in Notepad for you to edit.

Assuming your D drive is the 2nd partition on the same IDE hard disk, and assuming you are happy to keep the C drive copy of XP as your default OS, all you need to do is to add a new line at the end of the text in boot.ini, under the section [operating systems]:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP" /fastdetect

The words in quotation marks can be any description you like. You can call it something else to distinguish it from the main copy of XP, e.g. you can call it "XP Backup Copy" or "Mickey Mouse".

Save the changes and exit Notepad. If you access boot.ini via the 2nd route, click OK to Startup and Recovery Settings.

Restart and you'll get the boot menu back.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…