Windows XP drivers for SATA Harddrive

blackstorm2k 13:51 03 Aug 04

Hi,

I Recently installed a new SATA drive into my PC and it works ok with windows xp. However, since I installed it, I occasionally get windows stop messages spontaniously that vary in description. I installed the 'native storage patch for windows xp' off the cd that came with my motherboard and for the last 24hrs my PC has not crashed. I have one master SATA drive (Seagate 120GB), and one slave IDE drive (Seagate 30GB). I have the Intel D865GBF motherboard.
I am confused! I thought XP predated SATA & so shouldn't have even recognised the drive? And also, would this 'native storage patch' not being installed have been the cause of these random stop messages? Anyone got any ideas? Anyone had similar problems / hardware?

Thanks

Chegs ® 14:27 03 Aug 04

Installing an IDE and SATA together is the easiest way to get XP to recognise SATA(device manager has "Mass Storage Controller")Once the SATA driver is installed,there should be no further problems(although my system appears to be a one off,more hassles than I care to mention)The BSOD you were getting,is indicative of a problem,which appears on your PC to be reduced by the 'native storage patch' I wouldn't tempt fate by stating its cured.I hope you enjoy your new setup. :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…