Windows XP-Do i go for it?

Newuser2110 10:23 08 Jul 04

I have the opportunity to get a Toshiba laptop which I have always wanted, however, I have been so use to win98 that the thought of going to XP gives me the willies.I am, to some extent, biased probably due to the fact that this site is mainly for problems and you immeadiately think XP is worse than 98 although i am sure that cannot be true. Given that it seems impossible to get a new pc with 98, the move to XP is inevitable but just how much better is it in terms of "invaders" in the forms of viruses etc (I have never had a virus on my pc!). Is XP targeted more because this is the system of the day- or is it down to,like 98, just how security conscious you are?.Is XP more stable to run without crashes(They seems to be part of life with 98 and you dont worry anymore-just reboot.) AlsoI have been use to relying on Powerquest Second chance to restore to a good point when i have mucked things up.(I dont do that often but when i do,I do it in a big way and it has saved me a few times) Can I use this with XP or will it be incompatable?- I have Roxio Go Back if that would be better as some think XP restore is not reliable.
I have no experience with XP, only what I have seen in monthly mags etc so can anyone recomend a good book which will give the basics, or is XP not that different from 98.
I would be grateful for all opinions as i find that what i read here is very balanced views on most problems. Thankyou very much in advance.

go for XP it has system restore & is probably the most stable to use you only use system restore rarely for most people
Crashes are very rare
I have used XP Home gave to my grandson XP Pro & Xp Office & 2003 server
problems are in the way you use any PC The best advice I give to my friends is make sure you know what drivers your hardware needs & check regularly every 4 to 6 months or so
Win 98 is now so far out of date you cannot find updates. XP allows you to update automatically It has its own Dr Watson program which windows update ask yo to switch on normally in Windows catalogue web site but I also use Zone Alarm Pro a lot better than the free version

TomJerry 11:26 08 Jul 04

If you do not like the look of XP, you can make it "Classic View" which is not too far from Win98. It is very flexible to change the look of XP, you can make it look almost the same as Win98. One day I was fooled by a kid he has a Apple Ibook, but actually it is just a XP machine with exactly Ibook look.

georgemac 11:28 08 Jul 04

extremely stable and capable os - the best ms have ever produced.

son-of-a-gun 11:37 08 Jul 04

Been using XP home now since March I have not yet seen a blue screen of death. The only problem I found was my scanner software was not compatible and no updates available to sort this.

carolineann 11:40 08 Jul 04

I was unsure at first, But after a little while I was really pleased that I had decided to change.

sicknote 11:43 08 Jul 04

Make sure the laptop comes with either the original WinXP O/S disc or a restore disc.

LastChip 11:49 08 Jul 04

XP is not that much different in use, to Win98 and I'm sure you would very quickly feel at ease with XP. That said, it is a far more complex system than '98 and if things go wrong, is generally more difficult to get to the route cause of the problem. However, the database of knowledge, both human and on file is ever increasing, and there is far more likelihood of a fix than say a year ago.

Personally, I tried XP and didn't like it, finding it bloated with far too many features that I would never use. But that is very much a personal thing rather than a criticism of the operating system itself.

As regards trojan's and viruses, as Microsoft has it's never ending grip on manufacturers and XP is the prevalent new system, inevitably, the writers of these nasty's tend to target XP. It's not until service pack two (SP2) is released, that most (not all) of the security issues will be addressed.

My experience of system restore on the whole has been good, but it seems to me, that some third party programs do not work well with XP in this respect. It's also worth noting, than when SP2 is applied, Microsoft admit that up to 10% of legacy programs are unlikely to work, and some industry observers think this is a typical Microsoft play-down and the real number will be significantly more. Time will tell!

For books on the subject, a look in Waterstones will reveal shelves full of them, but for a basic introduction, I find the "For Dummies" range appealing.

Perhaps that says it all about me ;-)

JayDay 11:52 08 Jul 04

Do it. I have used all flavours of Windows from Windows Version 3 to XP. XP is by far the most stable. System Restore is a great feature. The User Accounts are great if you have kids.

TomJerry 14:02 08 Jul 04

The account restriction is very easy to get around if your kids talk to other kids about this.
So do not reply on account restriction if you want to monitor PC usage. For standard setup, the security for most XP machines is almost noexist even you setup account password.

XP is good, but the best MS OS is Windows 2K Pro for my personal taste.

Stuartli 14:14 08 Jul 04

I've had XP Pro for about seven or eight months - it's proved so boring after Windows98 and 98SE in not having to constantly solve a myriad of problems, that I'm thinking of reverting back.

Only joking...

It's the most stable, satisfying OS I've used from Microsoft and I go right back to Win 3x like many of the forum members.

It seems daunting at first, but you'll soon wonder how you ever lived without it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…