Windows XP Disk

Astrid 10:00 20 Feb 09

For the first time ever I seem to have lost my Windows XP Home edition disk. There's nothing wrong with my computer at present, but I'd like to replace it before anything is and I may need it. I have the registration code, which is verified by Microsoft for automatic updates. With the code, should I be able to get a replacement without too much expense? I'd like to, if possible, before anything goes wrong that requires it.

birdface 10:08 20 Feb 09

You could borrow one from your family or friends as long as it is a Home edition one and you add your own keycode.

birdface 10:14 20 Feb 09

You might pick one up at a car boot sale or down your local tip as they get lots of computers and software to dispose of.I will need to look out for one for myself so I will see what others suggest.

Spark6 11:02 20 Feb 09

As I understand it you are allowed to make a copy of the disc for security purposes, it would appear that you have not done this for whatever reason. Should you obtain a copy from a friend or relation and use your own registration code is for you to decide!

john bunyan 11:19 20 Feb 09

In he meantime you could buy a clone / image software (about £35) such as Acronis True Image 11 and make an image (and a clone if you wish) of your system on a USB HD so that if your system goes down you can restore it without the original CD (with the advantage that all the latest (up to the time you make the image) MS updates will be there.)) This alone is worth it in my view as it can take ages to update XP after a clean re - install.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…