Windows XP - Dial-up networking

TOFF 10:58 16 Aug 04

Because of a few Windows problems, I decided to conduct a Repair Install. This proceeded successfully but for the fact that I could not re-connect to the Internet through my broadband connection - an Alcatel Speedtouch modem with BT Openworld as my ISP. The problem, as I see it, is that Windows cannot offer me any way to enter my modem or ISP username and password etc. When I run the wizard, there is nowhere to enter those details and my son and I have tried endlessly to do it. Error 711 comes up frequently. We have even Repair Installed several more times but to no avail. I tried through Outlook Express and the machine told me that Dial-up networking was not installed. However, I could not find it in the Windows 'extras' included under 'Add/Remove programmes' either.
Finally, I have tried the suggestions for Error 711 in the MS knowledge base without success.
Any other ideas, such as would this be cured by windows updates which we could install, if we had a connection?

rawprawn 14:02 16 Aug 04

If you have repaired with a new install, you will need to reinstall SP1 before you can reconnect to the net.

rawprawn 14:05 16 Aug 04

If you haven't got a copy of SP1 and can't download, if you email me your address I will send you one. I am pretty certain that I am correct in the diagnosis, it happened to me a cpouple of years ago. But you could wait and see if there are other suggestions.

TOFF 14:58 16 Aug 04

Hi Rawprawn

Thanks for your messages. My son is downloading SP1 through our network off another computer. If we need a hand, I hope I can ask for your help again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…