Windows XP damaged by Symantec update

xania 14:05 17 Aug 07

Just back from holiday and my wife's PC required a Norton update to Internet Security 2007. On completion re-boot failed reporting damaged hal.dll (also when attempting to load last known good settings) and safe mode also reported bad c_1252.nls and recommended windows repair. However, in the repair console it is quite clear that something more serious has occurred. I've managed to FIXBOOT, which reported an error and fixed it, but I still cannot access anything on the C: drive (dir reports 'An error occurred during directory enumeration'). I've also tried BOOTCFG /rebuild, which tells me I've got to run CHKDSK and running CHKDSK /r gets to 25% then reports 'The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems' and stops. Its looking like a full reinstallation may be required, but this would mean loosing some emails which have only just downloaded, so clearly I need to try to avoid this. Any ideas, please?

TonyM 14:19 17 Aug 07

I would try the Windows repair option. Boot from your XP disk as though you were going to reinstall from scratch but it will (hopefully) detect the current installation and give you the option of repairing. This will not lose any data or programs.

If the current installation isn't detected I think you may have to reinstall from scratch.

sunny staines 14:21 17 Aug 07

GOTO norton support web site and run their fixit tool online see if it helps. if you need to reinstall download nis2007 ver3 it is more stable than the cd version and will accept the cd key.

xania 14:26 17 Aug 07

Thank you both for you help but unfortunately neityher will work.

TonyM I have already tried the repair console which is where i've now got.

sunny staines - the problem is not with Norton - its the damage that Norton has done that I need to repair.

namtas 14:26 17 Aug 07

"and safe mode also reported bad c_1252.nls" are you able to get into safe mode, or if not can you use a bootable disk to get in? if yes can you try a restore system ?

xania 15:14 17 Aug 07

In both cases, no. Trying to use Safe mode gets so far then reports damaged or missing dlls. I've also tried safe to command prompt and safe with network. Both these get a little further then the same result.

xania 17:46 17 Aug 07

^

brundle 17:47 17 Aug 07

You seem to have other problems, but this should help with the initial missing file;

click here

mosfet 18:54 17 Aug 07

TonyM did not say "repair console" he means as if reinstalling over XP after running setup.

xania 22:36 17 Aug 07

Brundle - thanks for this - it is a possible option but the problem is more basic. I think the FAT is damaged as I cannot even get DIR to work. As I said, I've tried FIXBOOT but I think im going to to FIXMBR.

LES2 - as mentioned above, I've got other problems before trying to repair Windows.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…