Windows XP Crashes

Tonyfraser 15:00 24 Jul 03

I use Windows XP Home. My computor often crashes when I make an entry in a text box. This happens in various applications including Office and AOL. When the crash occurs, Ctrl+Alt+Del will not work. My only option is to re-boot. Does anyone have an idea why this happens.

User-312386 00:14 25 Jul 03

bump this one to the top as i am off to bed

Gaz 25 00:29 25 Jul 03

Have you tried repairing XP and reinstalling office?

Does event viewer (Start > Type: eventvwr.msc > and click application, post the error message when you type in a text area or see system too)

This will help people help you.

It sounds like XP has a corruption, has ths happened since day one? If so then it must be hardware.

ricks12 00:43 25 Jul 03

Hi Tony,
I purchased a new comp with XP installed a month ago (It is so different from former versions, gawd only knows how students, older people and others who encounter it for the first time in common usage labs, libraries etc will cope - but that's off the topic) Immediately after installation I had to install a raft of very large patches (free from MS. From meory there were 24 of these patches. Have you checked to see that your version is up-to-date with these?
Regards,

Gaz 25 00:47 25 Jul 03

Ummm, SP1 may solve the problem.

You may have installed incompatable thrid party software that compatablility for in SP1 is supported.

Like my Norton AV 2002 ages ago, fist copy of XP and Norton messed it up so I taken it off.

However SP1 fixed that and the PC runs faultless.

Tonyfraser 20:42 25 Jul 03

Thanks to GAZ 25 for his idea to open Event Viewer. This showed many errors for both "True Vector Engine" and "VSS"(Volume Shadow Copy Service. Does this give you a further clue? I hope so as I am baffled.

Many thanks
Tony

graham√ 20:53 25 Jul 03

Can you say if this is a new PC? Have you installed any hardware recently (past three weeks)? XP is usually very stable.

temp003 04:09 26 Jul 03

Do you use Zone Alarm?

Tonyfraser 22:53 27 Jul 03

For Temp 003

I have just uninstalled Zone Alarm and then I crashed again when I re-booted and made an entry in a text box. The culprit seems to be VSS, but I dont know why.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…