windows xp corp.ed. restrictions.

I was given an ex-company laptop which has Symantec Anti-virus Client loaded. Due to the Win XP Corp.Edn Administrator restrictions it ass me for a password to remove the Anti-virus (among other things). is there any way to remove the password/work around/remove anti-virus so I can have unrestricted access to the pc (as it is mine after all!). The restrictions may also be to do with Group Policy within the XP Corporate Edition.

Switcher 11:54 14 Jul 07

Try START > RUN then enter
control userpasswords2 then OK This might allow you to change the administrator password

that might work but the password pop-up suggests the password has been setup within Symantec Anti-virus Client

Stuartli 16:10 15 Jul 07

The PC may be yours, but the operating system isn't.

Strawballs 16:20 15 Jul 07

My friend was given an old company laptop with a corp vers windows on it but it also had a COA sticker on it with XP Pro OEM that it came preloaded with so I just formatted it and reinstalled XP from my pro oem disc and activated it on the phone and he now has a clean install without any of the group policy rubbish.

thats ok if you have an XP Pro disc to load; the pc didnt even come with a Corp.Ed. disc for emergency reloading. Ill have to think of something else. N.B. the password being asked for is a 'Symantec uninstall password'. Thanks anyway.

Pamy 11:13 16 Jul 07

What about a word with the ex company IT manager?

Stuartli 13:27 16 Jul 07

XP Corporate is for networking use - it saves having to confirm activation for every machine in a business environment.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced