Windows XP connecting to 2nd PC

MartynHoll 21:57 26 Feb 03

I am helping a friend with his new PC and he wants to connect to old PC using a Network card and cable.
This was all working OK until a day or so ago. He now gets the following message from the Host (XP) PC when trying to connect to the old one:-
\\P133\c is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator........
The network path was not found.

We can see the network connection in the system tray and we can disconnect the cable and see the connection drop. It appears more to do with the actual PC name (they also have the same workgroup name!)

The PC Doctor 22:03 26 Feb 03

What operating system is on the old PC ?

MartynHoll 22:40 26 Feb 03

Windows 95

TLzook 22:47 26 Feb 03

i have the same prob with xp to me, try going here for info.

click here

ive been working through the jargon but not sussed it yet, good luck!

MartynHoll 07:06 27 Feb 03

Lots of information at that url - I will give it a try, thanks

Rogerfredo 08:29 27 Feb 03

I have also had this problem with XP to ME.
Do you have ICS enabled on the non XP machine? If so, try disabling it. This works fo me.
(in fact, I have not been able to get ICS working with XP at all for Internet connection).
I have no trouble sharing files however.
Having used networking wizard on the XP machine and then used a floppy set up disk in the other machines.

The PC Doctor 17:57 27 Feb 03

Does XP have Internet Connection Sharing ?

If it does then you need to set it up on your host PC. I would suggest you get your home network up and running first.

click here and have a look how I setup my Win98se PC's for ICS.

Further to that I was forced to install Win2000 on the Host PC to support my rather large HD. As soon as I did I found it was almost impossible to set up ICS between two different versions of Windows.

I therefore decided to go down the Router route and ended up with one Pc running Win2000 one running 98se third running Win95.

If you have to have different versions of Windows go down the Router route. I not have a D-Link 604 which has a built in Firewall.

I also found that as the Network protocols are different on different versions of Windows my Windows 98se Pc couldn't logon to the Windows2000 PC. I didn't leave it like that for long as all three PC's are now running Win2000. Maybe if I had setup user permissions then a connection could have been established but I didn't wait to try it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…