Windows XP, can't type in pwd, no characters seen

lahorie 10:43 30 Nov 07

Hi Everyone,

Lately i've been having trouble while trying to login.

I have the name icon you click on and then a white box appears into which you can normally type in your password.

The trouble is, there have been times when i cannot type anything in, i'm hitting the keys but nothing appears in the pwd box, i can go to another user but he same happens there too. The only way it will work is if i then do ctrl alt del. This give me the option to type in a username and password.

Anyone come across this before, i'm stumped.

Lahorie

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:05 30 Nov 07

When you do get into windows then
Repair XP by replacing corrupt files
Type

sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

sfc /scannow problems
click here

xania 15:25 30 Nov 07

This is a problem I frequently find when logging into my encryption software. Altough the cursor may seem to be in the password screen, it may not actually be there. Try clicking on the box agian before starting to type the password.

lahorie 22:37 30 Nov 07

Hi Fruit Bat,

The PC is brand new, just out of the box, the file system may have become corrupted but i cant see how, i'll try your suggestion anyway.

Xania, yes i have clicked the name box numerous times, it opens up OK but nothing shows in it when i type, same with other user names.

Lahorie

johnnyrocker 23:17 30 Nov 07

i think from what you say you have missed xanias point

johnny.

lahorie 13:15 02 Dec 07

Hi johnnyrocker

I understand what you mean, to update, i have clicked in the password screen box itself with the same result. Should have made this clear.

Cheers

Lahorie

johnnyrocker 13:21 02 Dec 07

thanks;)

johnny.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…