Windows XP Boot Up Problem...

D-Frame 12:48 26 Nov 04

The other night I added some more RAM to my computer and upon bootup it worked fine. However when i booted up in the morning I got this message:

===
We apologize for the inconvenience, but windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the Power ir Reset button was preessed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows Normally.

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt
Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)
Start Windows Normally

Use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight to your choice.

===

Heres what happened when I clicked any of them:

SAFE MODE
Loads of file lists come up then it stops and reboots.

SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING
Same as above, but freezes on:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\agp440.sys

SAFE MODE WITH COMMAND PROMPT
Same as SAFE MODE but a blue screen came up, but only for a blink of an eye, so i couldn't read it.

LAST KNOWN GOOD CONFIGURATION
Goes to the windows logo with a black background on then reboots.

START WINDOWS NORMALLY
Same as above.

I tried loading the windows xp cd in and running it to see if i could repair the problem, but when it loads it says:

===
A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this STOP error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Run a system diagnostic utility supplied by your hardware manufacturer. In particular, run a memory check, and check for faulty or mismatched memory. Try changing video adapters.

Disable or remove any newly installed hardware and drivers. Disable or remove any newly installed software. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable any components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007F (0x0000000D, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
===

Any help?

Jeffers22 13:01 26 Nov 04

Have you taken out the new RAM chip to see if that gets you back up and running? If so, it may have burned out (or similar) when you shut down. If not then try the chips in different slots.

D-Frame 13:03 26 Nov 04

I've taken it out and tried it and the same error occurs. I havent tried it in different slots, i'll try that...

D-Frame 11:12 27 Nov 04

I've taken out one of the old sticks of RAM and it works perfectly now. Thank You Jeffers22!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…