Windows XP Boot problem

johnlecarre 09:07 24 May 04

My PC had two hard drives, o/s Win ME.I backed up stuff I wanted to save to smaller disk (FAT32) then formatted larger one (NTFS) and loaded Windows XP. XP will not boot with both drives attached UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_something or other message. If I boot with smaller (backup) disk removed it will boot but the BIOS seems to take a while to find the IDE disk, say 90 secs altogether, then it boots OK. (With both disks conneced BIOS checks,finds disks and CD drives and begins boot very quick, 10 secs, although it then fails to boot XP). Any suggestions as to what may be wrong. Thanks.

spikeychris 16:16 24 May 04

Boot to the recovery console and at the command prompt type chkdsk /r

If that doesn't fix it type fixboot instead.

buscrew 16:24 24 May 04

I could be wrong but it seems to me you have two primary partitions on two disks, and without a boot manager insatalled, the system won't boot as one partition has to be "hidden" from the other in order to boot up. I'm sure I will be corrected if this information is wrong.

spikeychris 16:33 24 May 04

buscrew what makes you think he has two primary partitions on both disks?

johnlecarre 19:57 24 May 04

Thanks for the replies. Have made some progress. XP is loaded and have transferred some of my backup data from E back to C. Still have problem of UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME from time to time when I reboot. FIXBOOT in recovery console said boot sector was corrupt and fixed it and booted OK, What could be corrupting boot sector? Seems to be happening frequently, drive E is not on system at present so don't think that's the cause.Any ideas?

woodchip 20:14 24 May 04

When you first Installed XP was the other drive connected as master? C:\ drive with WinME on it, and then did you loaded XP to slave drive. Or what

ayrmail 20:29 24 May 04

click here
click here
searched threads and for UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME and the above was the response in all cases if it helps.

johnlecarre 21:06 24 May 04

Woodchip, When I installed XP other drive was connected but set as slave. C: is primary 20Gb and D: was slave 2.4Gb with backup data on.

woodchip 23:46 24 May 04

You cannot have WinME on any other drive than C:\ and if you installed XP after it would load some files on WinME drive. Any other way of installing and it will not work

johnlecarre 18:11 25 May 04

Thanks for all the help. Just running FIXBOOT from the recovery console reported boot sector corrupt and fixed it, system seems stable now with both drives connected.(didn't do the CHKDSK commands)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac