Windows XP Bios Lock

AndyJH250184 08:12 26 Nov 04

Due to a motherboard failure from a faulty power supply (PC was bought from TIME after expiry) the power supply blew up and destroyed the motherboard.

After all troubleshooting i eventually replaced motherboard with a PC chips one. When i tried to load up windows on the hard disk which was working, PC blue screened for about half sec then rebooted instantly. Stuck in this constant loop.

I later on found out it was the hardware security option in windows XP that detects hardware changes.

I believe the ghosted image of my operating system would reocvery this, ran the reload CD later received a mnessage that it couldn't run

WHY?? Bios lock on motherboard, my motherboard bios lock was owned by manufacturer of PC and motherboard was differnet.

Route out that option then

any ideas how to get round the bios lock,
Bios Flash??

Jeffers22 09:14 26 Nov 04

New mobo means you will have to reinstall windows. Different chipset (probably) and all sorts of other different hardware settings mean your previous windows is not able to run. My advice is to buy a new HDD and install windows to that, set it up and then connect the old HDD as a slave so you can get all your data back. When you boot to the new windows after installing the old HDD as slave, do it in safe mode and using explorer, navigate to the old drive and rename the windwows folder and reboot into normal mode. After securing all your old date use the old HDD as a data partition with all your data in a logical folder structure.

AndyJH250184 12:10 26 Nov 04

WAS THINKING THAT!!

:(

i am reinstalling xp and have some pretty good recvoery software so shoud be able to get it back
wasn't important just curios

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…