Windows XP Backup Programme

ExPara 14:53 28 Aug 05

I have just used Windows XP backup programme for the first time. I made a backup of Documents and Settings, plus all the files that have been created on various other programmes, other than Windows. I made a copy to 'D' drive, which is a partition of my HDD. I then made a copy from there to a DVD for additional safety. I now have an entry on the D drive and DVD for "Backup.bkf".
If I have a disaster with my machine,and it crashes, will I have to re-install all the programmes that were on the computer when the backup was created, or will the backup restore only the files that were created by the programmes that exist, or not at all?
I have a friend who tried the Windows XP backup and when he had a crash, he re-installed Windows and tried to execute the backup and he couldn't get it to work. He started from scratch and recreated some of his files/records, he still has the original backup on a slave HDD, where are we going wrong?
Does making a backup of Documents and Settings hold the settings only for Windows or does it hold the settings for all the programmes that were on the computer when the backup was created?
I am aware that this is a bit long winded. I have previously 'saved' each file and that has worked for me but it would be a long job restoring each and every file.
Is it not possible to view all the files that are in the backup and just restore the file that you want.

howard60 17:28 28 Aug 05

my experience of backup progs is if you are very lucky they work. I normally use them but all my files are backed up regularly to cd. If I have to reinstall progs so be it but my files are safe. I generally save to cd every 3 months as not much changes on my system.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…