Windows XP Backup facility

TonyV 19:15 02 Jun 10

I have been looking for a freebie backup Programme and tried Comodo latest version and all it wanted to do was to fail at each attempt of use. The top of the Comodo window would vanish and the only way to go to close it was via Task Manager.

Today, on here, there was a reference to Windows XP Backup facility. I managed to install it from my original disk and tried to back up the "System Status" vis the Wizard. It would not complete it. It said it would ask for a Floppy to create a boot disk, this I had available, but kept getting the message which in the report is this:-

Backup Status
Operation: Backup
Active backup destination: File
Media name: "Startdisk02062010.bkf created 02/06/2010 at 06:59 PM"

Backup Status
The files for the recovery diskette could not be created. The operation was aborted.

----------------------

The operation did not successfully complete.

What do I have to do to get it functioning? I was backing up to an external HDD (F:) where I tend to keep most of my created files and data. But for some reason, it wouldn't find the A drive with the floppy.

I did eventually get it to back up the SYS32 folder by getting rid of the starting with the Wizard window.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but I wonder if anyone has any idea how to make it easy to use this facility.

Thanks

TonyV

woodchip 20:49 02 Jun 10

Forget Windows Backup, that only works to Restore if Windows is already running and Files can be put back into original Location. You need Acronis True Image to create a Image of the Complete Disc or Partition that as the Operating System installed on it.

If you want to create a backup, its no good if it does not work when the going gets tough. Thats why you need to invest

TonyV 21:11 02 Jun 10

Thanks for that. I have to say, I backed up before to a previous version of MS Backup, and when I put XP on, as ever with MS, the backup facility was not compatible with XP. It was a complete and utter waste of time and effort. But, unfortunately, that seems par for the course with MS.

I only wanted a simple backup facility, but it seems as if such a thing is not available.

I thought I would give MS a shot with their XP version, but, again, it appears to be a bit of a lemon.

Perhaps I will have a look at Acronis as you mention in your response.

Cheers

TonyV

woodchip 21:20 02 Jun 10

Also you can use a External USB drive for personal files to either drag across or use a Sink Program to back them up these can be downloaded for free, but to me a backup means complete including OS and Programs So if the Drive goes down a new drive can be installed and load a Acronis image in next to no time up and running just as hen you create a Image.
When It creates a Image you can choose Compression and it only Images what is on the Disc not empty space, this includes Partition information so there is no partitioning or formating when restoring a image. it just puts it all back. I do not bother with the Incremental backup. I only create Images with it

TonyV 00:14 03 Jun 10

Thanks for that. I am about to fly off to Italy for a few days away. I'll look more closely at what you say when we get back next week.

Cheers

TonyV

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now