windows xp auto update

fishmad pete 08:08 13 Jan 03
  fishmad pete 08:08 13 Jan 03

I am connected to the net via a broadband connection. When ever I go to the microsoft windows update page I can retrieve and install the critical updates but can't get to the the recommended updates. The page is either not available or the action is cancelled. However if I go on the net via a dialup connection I can retrieve the recommended updates without any problem. As anyone had the same or similar problems with the recommended updates?

fishmad pete 08:43 15 Jan 03

I have been having similar problems with hotmail. To gain access to any email I have to click on it once then press the refresh button. I have now tried hotmail using my dial up connection and again everything works first time. My broadband connection is blueyonder (cable).
I can't see why the two connections would give such different results

fishmad pete 09:50 30 Jan 03

According to update I had six recomended updates available. I went into the "personalise windows update" and deselect one of the items. Magically the recomended updates became available. Before downloading I tried deselecting and selecting different combinations of the updates but found the fault only occured when all six were selected. I delselected one and downloaded the others. I then went back and reselected the one remaining update and down loaded that.
Hotmail worked for the first time in months. I think it matbe a co-incidance as none of the updates were to do with hotmail.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…