Windows XP Appears Twice in bootup (Help!)

Caballero_7 22:14 20 Aug 06

Hi,

I recently installed windows xp pro over windows xp home edition. However, when my pc boots up it still appears to be seeing the windows xp home edition operating system. It gives me an option whether to stars using xp home or xp pro at the bootup menu. It's getting quite annoying as i removed xp home when installing xp pro. Does anyone know if there is an option to remove the xp home edition option so windows will bootup straight into xp pro?

Cheers

FelixTCat 22:23 20 Aug 06

Caballero,

Right-click on My Computer and click Properties - Advanced - Startup and Recovery Settings.

Set the default operating system to XP Pro and untick the "Time to display list of operating systems:" radio button.

OK out and you will boot to Pro

You could also edit the startup options file - only do this if you know what you are doing, or you will have an unbootable system.

Regards,

Felix

rodriguez 22:28 20 Aug 06

If all of your olx Home installation is gone you just need to remove the entry from the boot.ini file. I'd imagine yours looks a bit like this:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Home" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Just delete the Home entry so it looks a bit like this:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

It should then see there's only a Professional entry at bootup and won't even display the boot menu anymore and just go straight into Windows.

Caballero_7 22:29 20 Aug 06

thanks for your help mate. Got it working. Cheers again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…