Windows XP - Advanced Logon

adam.dbatr 21:01 23 Aug 08

I have just done an install of XP (from a copy of Vista that I hated), and having used XP before, but forgot the registry enteries, how do I get XP to froget my username from the classic logon box? It can already do Ctrl + Alt + Del login, and a Google search for 'how to get windows xp to forget your username' and similar turns up fruitless.

TIA

MAT ALAN 21:03 23 Aug 08

Start - Run

"control userpasswords2"

Uncheck "Users must enter a user name ...."

Click OK

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:03 23 Aug 08

Accounts options ---
To stop your system from displaying the Welcome Screen, go to "Start->Run" and type in "control userpasswords2" (but without the quatations). Untick the "Users must enter a username and password to use this computer" option and click OK

MarvintheAndroid 21:03 23 Aug 08

You can delete a user in Administrative Tools - Manage - Local Users and Groups.

Beware that once you delete a user this way you cannot use the same user name again unless you reformat.

Marv

MAT ALAN 21:04 23 Aug 08

or

To make logon an unattended process:

Click [Start] [Run] and type
control userpasswords2
Click [OK]
The [User Accounts] Property Sheet displays.
On [Users] tab, clear the [Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer] check box.
Click [Apply].
Enter a user name and password that should be used to logon automatically in the dialog box that appears.
Click [OK].
Go to [Control Panel] [User Accounts] [Change the Way Users Log On and Off].
Uncheck [Use the Welcome Screen] and [Use Fast User Switching]

adam.dbatr 22:08 23 Aug 08

That's to log them on automatically? I don't want that. Basically, I have the classic logon, with a registry hack for pressing Ctrl + Alt + Del (so it looks like my PC is on a network). Now I would like to change the registry value which remembers the username (so I have to type my username and password everytime I logon).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017