Windows XP Administrator's Account Redundant?

Paddyjoe 03:46 11 Oct 04

I am the only user of two desktops and a laptop, all of them running XP Professional. I find it very frustrating that on one of my computers I have an Administrator's account and my user's account, with a great deal of unnecessary duplication, and over time there tend to be differences associated with the fact that there are two sets of Desktop displays, etc., etc., not to mention the resultant filling up of my HDD space.
In my view, there is no reason why I need a separate Administrator's account since I am also an Administrator as the only user. This view is borne out by the fact that I have somehow managed to successfully set up my second computer, and my laptop without a separate Administrator's account! My problem is that I have no idea how I managed it! Can anyone help?

paddyjoe

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:42 11 Oct 04

Start - settings - control panel - user accounts

Click on account select delete account.

Paddyjoe 08:33 12 Oct 04

Thanks, Fruit Bat /\o\, for tackling my problem of the Administrator Account, but I'm afraid the solution is yet to be found.
On selecting Users' Accounts and right clicking the Administrator dialogue box, indications are that, among other things, the account may be deleted; however, double clicking does not offer that option.
Users' accounts designated as Computer Administrator Accounts may be deleted,but that doesn't help me.
I've tried creating extra Users' maccounts configured as Administrator accounts, and tried using Safe Mode, but all to no avail. Any further suggestions?

VoG II 08:36 12 Oct 04

Does click here help?

temp003 09:45 12 Oct 04

Having 2 accounts with Administrator privileges can have its use (even though, I agree, not often). But obviously it's a personal choice.

Try this. Right click My Computer, select Manage to open the Computer Management Console. Expand System Tools, Local Users and Groups. Select Users.

To the right, see if the Administrator account is shown. Try deleting it from there. Restart.

Whether you get the default "built-in" Administrator account may depend on what you do when you first install XP (just before you boot into XP proper the first time). Sometimes the setup suggests "Administrator" as the account name, sometimes it suggests your own name for the account (which you may have keyed in earlier). If you accept the "Administrator" suggestion, that's when the account is created.

On some OEM machines, the Administrator account may already there when you take delivery.

Paddyjoe 12:07 13 Oct 04

Thanks, temp003, for your suggestions, but I'm afraid Bill Gates has the last laugh this time. I took your advice to go "Local Users" to delete the Admin account, but the answer was "cannot perform this operation on built-in accounts; the same answer was offered under "groups".
I thought I had a breakthrough when I saw the invitation to "disable" the account", which I did, but then found that Windows refused to boot except in Safe Mode. I think I'll have to bite the bullet, do a backup, and re-install the OS, this time without the built-in Administrator account, hopefully. Once again, thanks for all your help.

Paddyjoe.

recap 12:17 13 Oct 04

I do not think that you will be able to perform certain tasks without the Administrators Account.

Paddyjoe 15:21 14 Oct 04

Thanks for your response, Recap. I am intriqued to read that the built-in Administrator's account is essential for certain tasks. As I have already advised, two of my computers are configured without the built-in Admin account and seem to get along quite well with just my User Admin account. Perhaps you could give me some idea what tasks you had in mind that I might have difficulty with.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…