Windows XP administrator

edgie 17:02 04 Apr 03

I have windows XP and as far as I can see I am the system administrator. However when I try to load a particular piece of software from EA it will not install and denies me access. When I spoke to EA they tell me that it is because I am not the MAIN ADMINISTRATOR even though XP tells me I am. Am I missing something here or are EA being lazy? I've tried the software on another computer and it loads up OK so there is no problem there.

barrie_g 19:01 04 Apr 03

try checking in user accounts to make sure that you are logged in as admin

Gaz 25 21:50 04 Apr 03

Press F8 on windows boot up into safe mode, this should display a message asking you to select the type of boot up, select safe mode, this then has has an admin account. log in there, and create another account named Install account. and set admin account level. Then restart and log in into Install account then install from there.

If use XP pro, it could be because of Access permissions.

edgie 19:12 07 Apr 03

Tried the safe mode thing and got usual message 'access denied' then 'error getting language from the registry'. Still struggling. Anybody else fancy a crack??

Stalker 19:25 07 Apr 03

I too have experienced a similar problem when installing EA products, they say they cannot offer any support for Windows XP unless the product says on its box its for Windows XP.

I take it you have tried all the norm, like removing software fully, also tried installing it into a different directory on the computer ?

Stalker

Morsmordre 19:27 07 Apr 03

Are you using the welcome screen?

Try hitting Ctrl+Alt+Del twice at welcome screen, then logging in withe username "Administrator". The password will either be the same as your main user, or blank, depending on whether you have XP Pro or Home.

The Admin account dosent appear on welcome screen if there is other users, only way to get to it is via the text login.

edgie 19:58 07 Apr 03

Which is the welcome page?

spikeychris 20:13 07 Apr 03

Start, run, and paste the below into run.

control userpasswords2

Whats it say?

Chris

edgie 20:18 07 Apr 03

it gives a list of all the users and user accounts

spikeychris 20:29 07 Apr 03

Click the add button and build another account. choose administrator and see what happens.

Chris

spikeychris 20:29 07 Apr 03

Click the add button and build another account. choose administrator and see what happens.

Chris

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…