Windows XP 64 bit - dual boot with XP Home?

dms05 07:12 26 Apr 06

I was considering trying the trial version of XP 64 on my 64 bit laptop. However I would like to keep my copy of XP Home until I'm happy I can run my hardware and software under the 64 bit version. Does anyone know if it's possible to select 32 or 64 bit during boot up?

User-312386 07:42 26 Apr 06

Yes it is

Partition your hard drive and Install the 64bit on the new partition

When windows boots you will have 2 versions

dms05 08:40 26 Apr 06

Thanks madboy33©®. I've downloaded the 575Mb iso image and burnt it to a CDR. The resultant readable CD has several very good documents in the DOC folder. These includes a step by step installation guide which covers partitioning your HDD and dual booting. I'll give it a go.

dms05 15:16 26 Apr 06

I've now installed XP 64 on my Acer Aspire 5003 Turon 64 bit laptop. The installastion isn't difficult and takes as long as installing XP Home.

Couple of points - MS say anti-virus software won't work with XP 64 unless it is a 64 bit edition. Does anyone have any experience of which one to us?

Secondly I have problems with setting my graphics card resolution (my laptop has a 15.4" widescreen). In the 32 bit mode all is OK but in 64 bit mode the text isn't right (it has thick tops or bottoms to the characters).

woodchip 15:30 26 Apr 06

You will have problems with 64 not many drivers about

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…