Windows XP,

Greengo 08:57 15 Nov 07

My computer boots up, windows XP start, when I then try to log in, it logs in OK, but when my desktop appears no program icons appears or the start button on the bottom left of the screen that enable you to access my programs. After a few seconds I here the shutdown sound but my computer fails to shutdown. All I am left with is the desktop screen with no icons. Can anyone help?

Best Regards

johnnyrocker 09:05 15 Nov 07

has the machine ever worked ok and when did the prob start?

johnny.

birdface 10:49 15 Nov 07

Have you tried right clicking the middle of the screen.Arrange Icons by,And make sure show desktop icons is ticked.

birdface 10:50 15 Nov 07

Or maybe try Safe mode.And click last good configuration.and see if that works.

Greengo 12:20 15 Nov 07

Up until yesterday the systems was OK. I'll try the advise given so far later and feedback to all if who offered their help.

woodchip 12:39 15 Nov 07
  Greengo 09:35 16 Nov 07

My system boots OK in safe mode. I tried uninstalling a few none essential programs but got the message that this was not possible in safe mode or windows installer is not installed. I performed system restore, restarted the computer normally, only to find the same problem.
What should I do now?

Best Regards

Technotiger 09:41 16 Nov 07
  Greengo 15:44 16 Nov 07

Thank you for the link above, I will try that when I get back home tonight.

In addition to the problem above, I can't get my on-board Lan to connect to my router. The LED is orange and when I try to go on-line, I get message no network device found. When I look at the network places and properties, my on-board lan is not been given an IP address by my router.

Best Regards

Greengo 15:29 21 Nov 07

Thanks for all your help. I seemed to have resolve the problem I was experiencing. In the end I just formatted my HDD and reinstalled windows. I followed up by reinstalling all the neccessary drivers and software.

Best Regards.

P.S Looks like I will never know what caused the fault in the first place.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017