Windows XP

2Xtreme_lives 19:25 20 Nov 06

Hello,
I have a genuine copy of windows XP home edition and a boot disc,which are both on my laptop. However i wish to activate windows xp on my new pc. The problem is it will not let me activate because it says the product key has already been activated. Does anyone know of a solution or a way to buy additional codes?
Thanks

rodriguez 19:33 20 Nov 06

Is this an OEM disc that came with your laptop? If it is, then you can only activate it one the laptop and if you want to put Windows on your PC, you'll need a new licence key. I can't remember how much they are, but someone on here will probably know.

Woolwell 19:35 20 Nov 06

My understanding is that XP Home is valid for one PC at a time. If your copy of XP came with the laptop then it is probably an OEM version which is only valid for the laptop. If a retail copy then you could use it on the new PC providing the laptop was no longer in use.

Did you build the new PC yourself or did you purchase it elsewhere. If elsewhere it either should have come with OS or you should have been advised to purchase a copy.

Suspect that the only way forward is to buy a version of XP - OEM or retail depending on whether home built ot purchased.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…