Windows XP

Granddad Ray 11:17 09 Feb 06

I am at present running on Windows 95 and I would like to update my operating system to WindowsXP/SP2. Can this be done and if so how?
The cheapest version of XP home edition I can find is from Dabs at £64 but his says it is an OEM edition does this make a difference.

Hertz Van Rentyl 11:35 09 Feb 06

Please describe your hardware and then I am sure someone will advise on the possibilities of upgrading.

Jdoki 11:41 09 Feb 06

OEM just means you don't get any fancy packaging, and as such pay a bit less.

You'll still get the full product, including licence key, and be entitled to Microsoft support if needed.

You will need to check that your PC meets the specifications to run XP - as your current machine is running 95 I'd guess it might not be able to cope with XP.

Also note that you won't 'upgrade' from 95 to XP. The installation process will wipe your hard drive and start from scratch - so ensure all your important data is backed up. Which will mean you have to set up internet connections, email, applications etc again. It also means you may need to reinstall some hardware, such as graphics card, so you'll need the driver discs to hand to do this.

jimv7 11:42 09 Feb 06

As Hertz Van Rentyl has said, post your computer specs, if running win 95 I very much doubt if it will run xp, a new computer might be the better option.

Belatucadrus 11:44 09 Feb 06

A huge one, the software is the same, but an OEM license must only be used on a newly constructed computer, it can't be used as an upgrade. It's also tied to the PC in question, it's non transferable.

XP also has much higher system resource requirements than W95 and for a system this old is likely to be incredibly slow if it'll work at all. W98SE is probably a more sensible upgrade. If you post your hardware specifications, no doubt we can give more specific recommendations or suggestions.

VoG II 12:19 09 Feb 06
  Jdoki 12:21 09 Feb 06

"A huge one, the software is the same, but an OEM license must only be used on a newly constructed computer, it can't be used as an upgrade. It's also tied to the PC in question, it's non transferable"

And how does MS know if you have a newly built PC or not?

Few if any online retailers will refuse to sell you an OEM copy. At worst you only need to be buying a 'qualifying piece of hardware' to fall with in the OEM terms of Microsoft. A qualifying piece of hardware can be a peripheral, such as a mouse, or a hard drive, or a full system etc etc.

I recently upgarded from XP Home to MCE2005, I called up the online retailer and told them I built my PC over 18months ago (which was true), the sales advisor told me not to worry and just order the software from their website, even though it stated hardware must be purchased at the same time.

spuds 12:54 09 Feb 06

The rules of purchasing 'hardware' and installing XP have recently been made simpler by Microsoft.

Belatucadrus 14:14 09 Feb 06

The OEM terms are quite clear and while they could easily be circumvented, openly advocating the breaking of license terms in a public forum is unwise, as well as against forum rules.
I'm not over surprised the advisor told you everything was OK, in the unlikely event anything did happen, they aren't going to be held accountable and they aren't going to want to turn away a sale, that's assuming they knew the license terms in the first place.

ade.h 15:32 09 Feb 06

Please have the decency to respect other people's IP, even that of behemoth-sized corporations. Microsoft has every right to dictate what its customers do with its IP.

Hertz Van Rentyl 16:05 09 Feb 06

Whats an IP? Thought it was an address for your wireless.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac