Windows XP

Dekka123 11:25 20 Aug 05

I have Windows XP Pro Installed which does not pass the validation test. I do have an XP home disc which I am sure will pass the validation test because I purchased it from PC World. My problem is I eventually want to buy a boxed retail version of XP Pro upgrade using my xp Home disc as a qualifier. I would be gratefull if someone could help me with this problem. Would I have to uninstall my present copy of windows XP and Install my boxed copy of Home and then purchase the XP Pro upgrade and install that. Thanks in advance.

ACOLYTE 11:31 20 Aug 05

What validation test are you talking about? the online one for downloading updates,or the one for updating an OS?

bazb 11:32 20 Aug 05

When I installed XP Home upgrade onto a new harddrive it just asked for the Product Key of the qualifing product, ie Windows 98 in my case.

ACOLYTE 11:57 20 Aug 05

It asked for the cd to be inserted when i did it,that was also win98se,now it doesnt even ask just installs.

Dekka123 12:05 20 Aug 05

Thanks very much for your speedy reply I tried to download Photo Story from the M/S website and it would not let me download it after taking the validation test. I have tried to download lots of free stuff from M/S but it wont let me saying that I have an invalid Product Key. bazb I understand what you are saying but do you think that it would work in my case.

Completealias 15:07 20 Aug 05

When you buy your upgrade of XP pro do an clean installiion of it at a point during the instalation it will ask you to verify a copy of an older OS at this point you should put in your XP home disc that you brought from PC world.

That will work unless the disk you brought from pc world was an upgrade disk as well.

Dekka123 15:34 20 Aug 05

Thank you all very much for your input. My XP Home disc is noit an upgrade so I will go and get a new Pro upgrade. I will tick this as resolved and let you know how I get on afterwards. Thanks to everyone once again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…