windows XP

tazzo85 23:02 24 Aug 03

i have tonight just installed Windows XP Home Edition onto my Windows 98 computer and it is working fine. only problem is i think Windows 98 is still on my hard drive. i was asked when installing XP if i wanted to format the drive but i said no...should i?? under FAT32 or the FTSP(or something)?? i basically want to have my computer free of every programme! it wont format though when i right click on C drive says i have to do it without anything running from it. also my '@' has moved under 'shift 2' - '"'

The Sack 23:06 24 Aug 03

You cant format C from within windows, it wont kill its self. Put the XP CD in and reboot (making sure the boot options are set to boot from CD-ROM before HD in the BIOS) when it says boot from CD, press any key? press a key and the XP set up will start, do a full format with NFTS at the promt and wave good by to Win98

Chegs ® 23:07 24 Aug 03

Keyboard is set to US,your 98 will be removable by add/remove progs.To convert the hdd to NTFS can be done via Command Prompt(dos-box)only I haven't the correct syntax to hand,but a search of pca helproom for convert and ntfs will put you right.

tazzo85 23:10 24 Aug 03

Thank you all!!

Chegs ® 23:11 24 Aug 03

Djohn
Mon, 26.05.03 | 00:07

In the command prompt window, type convert drive_letter: /fs:ntfs

For example, typing convert D: /fs:ntfs would format drive D: with the ntfs format.

If your hard drive is C then replace the D above with C

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…