Windows XP

cafc1962 15:17 05 Aug 03

I am currently running my home pc with Windows 98, I am about to build a new pc and plan to install XP home. Will I need to purchase the full XP home package or can I install my existing windows 98 OS and then install the XP upgrade over the top. There is quite a difference in the price so any advice would be useful.

Many thanks

Jester2K II 15:20 05 Aug 03

You can use an Upgrade CD to do a full install but it'll ask you to insert your old Win98 CD at some stage.

Just Start the installation with the WinXP upgrade CD and follow the instructions.

No need to preinstall Win98.

Bruce_Lee 15:35 05 Aug 03

You can buy a brand new copy of Windows XP from computer companies such as for about £66, which is not much more than the upgrade version.

The only slight catch is that you have to purchase it with at least one major hardware component such as a hard drive, RAM or a modem. However you mention that you are building a new computer anyway so this should be fine.

minter 15:57 05 Aug 03

Started life with W95, then W98se, now have upgraded to XP Pro. Each upgrade was made using the upgrade version of Windows.

When I need to install my version of XP Pro (after a format, etc) all I do is insert my copy of W98se (upgrade version) in the CD-rom drive and the XP Pro (upgrade) in my CD-RW drive. I always us a full install, as against upgrade, don't know why but I feel it will give me a "cleaner" start.

If you only have one CD-rom/RW drive you will need to take the XP version out and put your 98 copy in, Windows then detects that you have the earlier version of Windows and installs XP.

Activation is simple, and trouble free.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…