Windows won't start with new HDD

Tabvla 13:22 31 May 06

Disks : SATA
RAID : No
Disk_1 - System & Programs
Disk_2 - New, replacing similar but smaller disk

I replaced Disk_2 with a new disk with a very similar specification except that it has a larger capacity.

I had assumed that when I restarted, Windows would detect the new disk and would install it with the New Hardware Wizard.

However, when I restart the system Windows refuses to boot up. The Windows logo appears very faintly on the monitor and after a few seconds the screen comes up with the various boot options. Surprisingly, Windows won't even boot into Safe Mode. When I select Safe Mode the boot process starts again and ends up again at the boot options screen.

During the boot process the normal messages come up. When it gets to the disks the message correctly identifies the system disk and displays "No Device" for the new disk. Not sure if that is correct. I have checked the cables and connectors with the old disk and all of that is OK. If I put the old disk back in then everything is back to normal.

If I disconnect the new disk Windows starts normally without any problems.

Any ideas?

Schrader 14:15 31 May 06

Did you make sure that the jumper on the new disk was set to a slave disk, assuming you have positioned it as a slave on the Primary IDE channel?

Before loading Windows go into the BIOS and make sure that the disk is recognised.

Tabvla 14:25 31 May 06

Hi Schrader

Disks are SATA, no jumpers necessary as they self-detect.

I did go into the BIOS but could not find any option that enabled me to see the disks.

As I said in the 4th para of my post, during the boot process, when it gets to the disks the boot message correctly identifies the system disk but displays the message "No device" for the 2nd channel disk. That can't be right.

I am probably missing something very obvious here but this is not the kind of job one does every day so I am probably forgetting to do something very basic.

johndrew 14:26 31 May 06

I had a similar problem when I changed a drive recently, all I got was a message telling me of a `Primary boot disk failure`. It turned out that I needed to tell the system which disk to boot from.

What I did was hold down `F8` to get into the boot screen and select the disk with the Windows OS on it (arrow keys to select) then press `Enter`. System booted and has been fine since.

Hope this helps.

Schrader 14:34 31 May 06

Yes - sorry I read that they were SATA after I posted. Can't think of anything else off the top of my head but surely there must be something to do with disks in the BIOS?

€dstowe 14:37 31 May 06

Are you certain the new drive is powered up and, more important, is operational?

Tabvla 14:45 31 May 06

Reply to johndrew. The new disk isn't the boot disk so the problem does not lie there.

Reply to Schrader. Agree. Somehow the BIOS needs to be told that there is a new disk onboard. But I am at a dead-end to find the option in the BIOS where I can go and enter the details.

Reply to Edstowe. In a situation like this one cannot be certain. Windows won't even boot with this disk connected so no way of telling. All that I know is that the cables are good because if I reinsert the old disk there aren't any problems.

It MUST be the BIOS.... But where do I find the settings.. :{

DieSse 16:44 31 May 06

Maybe the new drive is simply faulty - can you check it on another system? - can you test it with a manufactureres diagnostic program?

Maybe the new drive is too high a capacity for your BIOS to work with. Some details would help here please.

Tabvla 17:10 31 May 06

System Info

Mobo : MSI MS-6702
BIOS : AMI v07.00T
Chipset : VIA K8T800
Processor : AMD 3200+
Existing disks : Maxtor 6Y160M0
New disk : Maxtor 6V200E0

Logically I would assume that if the BIOS does not recognize a disk that you should be able to go into the BIOS and set the disk up. I would not think that the BIOS would automatically recognize disks, I would have assumed that this would be a manual task.

But which option in the BIOS enables you to address the disks?

DieSse 19:35 31 May 06

The BIOS should automatically recognise hard drives, there should need to be no setting up.

Cab you tell us the capacties of all three drives please (2 orig, plus 1 new).

DieSse 19:39 31 May 06

Ah - I see the one is 160GB, the other 200GB.

There shouldn't be a BIOS problem with the capacities, but I see the new drive is SATA II - possibly your motherboard does not support SATA II

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac