Windows won't start in any mode

I have been trouble shooting a problem whereby my pc just shuts itself down for no obvious reason. I have checked all the obvious possibilities such as CPU running too hot, corrupt BIPS etc. I have now formatted the hard drive and reloaded Windows which has gone onto the HD. This time, when the computer shut itself off it fails to reboot in any mode. I get the screen telling me Windows could not start properly but whiever option I use, safe mode, last good configuration etc the PC just shuts down again before attempting another reboot. There is currently nothing on the hard drive apart from XP. I have flashed the BIOS and the motherboard is set to default configurations. Could the graphics card be causing a shutdown even before the PC gets into Windows? I can't think what else it could be. I am running an Athlon 64bit 3600 chip on an Asus A8V Deluxe motherboard. Both are less than a year old. The GFX card is a GeForce 420, 5 years old. If anyone has any suggestions it would be helpful, I don't knaow what else to try

howard63 19:55 01 Jun 06

try changing the hard drive jumper - from master to cable select or vice versa - this might be the problem. I have 1 hard drive which behaves like this when on master but it is perfect on cable select.

Terry Brown 20:26 01 Jun 06

I suggest you return to a basic system..
Set up the system with just the onboard graphic card (if it has one), 1 hard drive and nothing else (i.e remove network card, floppy drive(Unplug), 2nd hard drive (unplug), CD roms (unplug), you get the idea.

If this works, add components one at a time until the problem occurs. I know this is a long way round, but you will find out what is OK and what is causing the problem.

LivEviL 20:39 01 Jun 06

i agree with terry brown

also

if u have another hard drive handy try puttin xp on that and see if its alright?

coz if it was the graphics wouldnt it not let u install windows in the first place?

have u checked all ur fans are clean and moving! try openin the case and starting up (dont touch anything) and just watch it to see whats going on!

e

Thanks for the suggestions so far and I will try Terry's idea I had two hard drives installed and I have formatted the D drive and reloaded XP on it just in case the C drive was faulty and removed the C drive. My system set up has not changed for nearly a year so whatever is causing this has to be a failure of an existing component which is why I suspected the GFX card.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…