Windows wont start

JACC 15:44 15 Jun 07

My pc with WXPproSP2 won't bootup saying a file is missing or corrupt . It then tells me to install the W Xp disc and press "r" at the first screen to fix the problem . When i try this all i get is The Nividia screen and then the screen telling me about the missing file , i press "r" but nothing happens , could you please help cos i need to order my groceries and the bairns are hungry LOL.:-)

Joe R 16:29 15 Jun 07

JACC,

you will first have to access your bios, and set it to boot from cd-rom.

Then you will have the opportunity to press "r", which stands for repair.

grizzley 17:28 15 Jun 07

if all else fails access bios as previously told and using arrow keys go along the options and click on exit scroll down and click on default settings option then exit and save you. only use this as a last resort as you will loose all saved data and will have to reload everything all over again, i know this becaus elast week my computer crashed and my recovery disks did not work, techguys could not help. so i went into bios and set default settings and spent hours reloading everything including updates.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:56 15 Jun 07

which file is corrupt?

Repair XP by install over the top of existing systm

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

JACC 18:11 15 Jun 07

Fruit Bat /\0/\, the corrupt file is windows/system32 , and could you please tell me how i can access the bios from a startup?

grizzley 18:38 15 Jun 07

on start up just as screen appears, at the bottom you should see a message to enter system start up press f2 just keep pressing it until you get the bios screen. please try others first my way is a last resort. if you can check for a virus or spy wear because i had problem with infected windows/system32, ignore any pop ups saying your computer is at risk or registry is corrupt and asking you to download software these requests are threats and in no way have anything to do with help you. take care and hope you get problem sorted.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:40 15 Jun 07

To get into BIOS reqires a key press as you first boot the PC which key depends on the make.
There is usually a message that says Press ? to enter setup,
where ? is the key you need, often it is Del or Esc or F1

In BIOS you are looking for "Boot device" to set the order, set first boot device to CD ROM.
Save and exit (F10) and the PC will reboot so have the XP CD in the drive.

You cn then do the procedure as above or Press R to go to recovery console and do:-

Restore from recovery console

boot from the XP CD. Start Windows Setup and press R to access the recovery console. Select your Windows installation, then type the administrator password – press Enter if there isn't one.
Now enter the following commands:

CD C:CD "system volume information\_resto~1"
DIR

You'll see a list of restore point folders with names such as RP1, RP2 and so on. Pick the restore point you wish to use, using the folder date stamps to guide you. Enter the commands:

CD RPx (the restore point you chose)
CD SNAPSHOT

This takes you into the folder containing the restore point snapshot files. Copy the Registry backups so that they overwrite the existing Registry files.

COPY _Registry_machine_system C:\Windows\System32\Config\System
COPY _Registry_machine_software C:\Windows\System32\Config\Software
COPY _Registry_machine_sam C:\Windows\System32\Config\Sam
COPY _Registry_machine_security C:\Windows\System32\Config\Security
COPY _Registry_user_.default C:\Windows\System32\Config\Default

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:42 15 Jun 07

Type the command exit to close the Recovery Console and restart the PC.

JACC 19:39 15 Jun 07

Thankyou for that Fruit Bat /\0/\ , if it works you'll hear from me soon , if not it'll have to wait untill i start work on Sunday night . Thanks for your help in the meantime. John :)

JACC 15:02 20 Jun 07

Thankyou Fruit Bat /\0/\ your tip did the trick .Thank the wee man that you're there to help us unfortunates out :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…