Windows Won't Start

JonnieBoy 17:20 07 Oct 06

Problem with desk top. Shut it down no problem last night.

This morning switched on to the message "We apologise for the inconvenience, but windows did not start successfully etc...

Chose start windows normally option, windows screen appears for a split second followed by a blue message which appears for about 1/10 of a second before it takes me back to the first message.

The message in blue says the following:

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time youve seen this screen restart your computer. if this screen appears again follow these steps.

Check for viruses on your computer. remove any newly installed hard drive controllers, check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured.

It has taken me two hours to get this far with reading the message one word at a time and there is still another couple of sentences.

Just after some advice on what i can do here.

safe mode, last known ok configuration etc dont work either.

cannot get in to do anything never mind a virus scan.

help !!!

John

Diodorus Siculus 17:21 07 Oct 06

Is it XP and do you have an xp cd?

JonnieBoy 17:33 07 Oct 06

yes it is xp and i have cd. have put cd in drive but it is not starting up

VoG II 17:34 07 Oct 06
  JonnieBoy 17:44 07 Oct 06

cd wont start !

VoG II 17:47 07 Oct 06

Have you changed the BIOS to boot from the CD - see my link above.

JonnieBoy 18:04 07 Oct 06

going to have to come back to this later on, family calls. back in an hour or so.thanks for help so far.

bios for my pc isnt listed - bought it from evesham technology 4 years ago if u would happen to know the key comand ??

Diodorus Siculus 19:05 07 Oct 06

when booting up you should se #press del to enter setup# is that there^

JonnieBoy 19:41 07 Oct 06

yes, seen that now. am now in AwardBIOS Set up Utility, headings at top Main, Advanced, Power, Boot, Exit

JonnieBoy 21:18 07 Oct 06

ok, found what i need and it looks like its doing what the guide says. computer has now restarted and the installation continues, few more minutes and i should be there....

JonnieBoy 22:03 07 Oct 06

sorted.....thanks very much for your help.

John

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now