Windows won't start...

Seadog 21:02 27 May 04

My home computer (P4 2.4 GHz) won't start up Xp. On initial start it goes to the black backgroung displaying the Xp logo with the moving green bands. After the usual time this runs for, the screen then goes black but instead of the opening screen appearing the computer restarts and I get a screen with the options of safe mode with or without network, normal or command prompt. The computer will start in these modes but I can't get anywhere. Opening device manager opens a blank window with no devices showing, likewise opening other items in control panel - just an empty window!
I have run AVG 7.0 - no virus found.
I recently installed (early this afternoon)a new printer (HP Dj 3650) and MS Plus! for Xp but the machine was working Ok after this. The fault only appeared after I restarted the computer this evening.
I have also followed the troubleshooting guide and isolated various start ups from msconfig with no joy.
Any help will be greatly appreciated, before I throw it out the window!

rômanab 21:08 27 May 04

Once in safe mode have you tried returning to a previous restore point

Fruit Bat 21:13 27 May 04

when in safe mode tpe sfc in run box

this will check for missing / corrupt files

Seadog 21:15 27 May 04

Yes, but it doesn't matter which restore point I pick it doesn't work! The machine goes through the procedure to restore but when it tries to restart it fails at the same place - just after the "green bare" screen.

Seadog 21:16 27 May 04

Sorry that last remark was directed to romanab will try sfc now....

Seadog 21:18 27 May 04

sfc doesn't work, the screen just flashes and the run box vanishes!

Mo H 21:53 27 May 04

click here

It may help. Also, when doing 'Repair' password is usually nothing

rômanab 21:54 27 May 04

You may need to repair click here or click here

Seadog 22:06 27 May 04

sorry chaps, got to go out - will post back later.

Seadog 00:36 28 May 04

Nope, nothing seems to work, the computer won't go past the first screen so at present I am re-installing Xp so far so good!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…