Windows won't shut down

trisha01 22:54 16 Oct 07

Hope somebody can help me here, After I log off the PC it says 'Saving your settings@ and then @Windows is shutting down@ - but it doesn't, it just stays there and I have to turn it off at the switch which can't be good.

I updated the printer driver from the Lexmark site last nite and also installed Picassa no problems with either. Before this everything was fine. Any suggestions please?

brundle 23:09 16 Oct 07

Assuming XP

Go to Start Menu/Run, type

eventvwr.msc

press return

Look through the list for red or yellow warnings matching the last shut-down time.

Another way is to do Ctrl-Alt-Del to bring up task manager just before shut-down. End one of the tasks, make a note of the name, close Task Manager and try shut-down. Eventually you will track down the culprit.

Spark6 23:14 16 Oct 07

For reference.

birdface 23:39 16 Oct 07

Or a System restore to before you made the changes.

trisha01 08:18 17 Oct 07

Sorry yes XP, after looking in the event log, there is a red cross against nview_info against the times when the PC wouldn't shut down - what to do next? thanks

birdface 08:22 17 Oct 07

Googled.click here= It will give you something to look at until someone comes back with the information that you need.

Technotiger 08:34 17 Oct 07

You should have an icon for nVidia in your System Tray at bottom of screen, you can disabled the nVidia desktop manager here. I disabled mine some time ago and have not had any problems at all.

trisha01 20:24 17 Oct 07

I think I may have sorted it - I have disabled the Nvidia desktop manager, also found some conflicts between the firewall and Lexmark and also the firewall and A/V software. So I've completely uninstalled both firewall and A/V software and am now using Comodo firewall and Clamwin A/V, have shut down the pc several times with no problems and the event log looks clear. Also installed UPHClean from microsoft.

Is there anything else I should do?

birdface 21:10 17 Oct 07

Hi Trisha.Just wondering why you picked Clamwin A/V.To tell the truth I had never heard of it before,I usually will only use programs that come highly recommended by others.You have not mentioned what spyware programs that you have.Any 2 will normally do.I only have A Squared at the moment, But I do not have a lot on my computer. Also SpywareBlaster.I also have McaFee Site Advisor that lets you know if you are going into bad sites and turns different colors to warn you.Also WinPatrol that warns you if anything is trying to change any of your files Etc.Both of those just put Icons on your desktop and take up very little room.Worth having.looks like a good choice of Firewall it is very popular.

brundle 00:13 18 Oct 07

ClamWin is not a resident scanner, so you should install one (you can leave ClamWin installed). Avast or AVG for free resident AV; click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5