Windows Wont Load

Dirk Diggler 17:37 09 Oct 08

Packard Bell Easynote Laptop running XP Home SP2

Just turned it on and got the following message

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt

\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM

Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair"

I have tried to boot from the original disc that I had to create when I got the laptop (as ususal nowadays it didnt come with any of its own!!) but it does not give me the repair option

birdface 18:16 09 Oct 08

Try safe mode.keep tapping F8 as computer starts.And maybe last good configuration or system restore if you get in.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:16 09 Oct 08

Normally you need to get into recovery console to replace the damages system file from C:\rescue

If you tap F8 when booting do you get as far as the options to get into safemode
last good configuration
etc.

Dirk Diggler 18:26 09 Oct 08

Pressing F8 takes me to the boot up order menu (CD, HDD) etc

The only options I get briefly before the message in my original post appears is

Start Windows Normally
Start Windows Recovery Console

If I select the recovery console I get a message "Disk read error occured - Press CTRL, ALT & Del to restart"

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:34 09 Oct 08

try tapping F5

Dirk Diggler 22:02 09 Oct 08

By pressing F5 I can get the options mentioned

I have tried "Safe Mode" and "Last good config" but still the same result (ie, "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt

\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:15 09 Oct 08

Xp boot floppies or CD iso from click here and carry out the repair as detailed click here

Dirk Diggler 22:20 09 Oct 08

Thanks for that - will have to have a proper look tomorrow

One thing I notice in the repair article is that it states not to run it if PC came with OEM installation of OS, which I am presuming mine would have done as I had to create the restore discs - it even states that the best way is to run those discs - but obviously that will involve losing progs, data etc

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5