Windows wont boot(After running combofix)

hiwatt 11:23 11 Jan 10

Hi folks.I was clearing a heavily infected computer for a family friend.I used combofix(without assistance)and it's deleted a system file.Windows wont boot it's saying missing file windows root\system 32\hal.dll I've got a windows xp home disc.I'm trying to avoid doing a clean install though.The option to do a repair install isnt there.Can anyone tell me how I can install this file from the windows cd or if I can do a system restore from the recovery console?Thank you.

MAT ALAN 11:26 11 Jan 10

click here

this may help...

hiwatt 13:35 11 Jan 10

Thanks matalan.I had tried that method and it still gives the same message ahen rebooting.I think I'll have to go for the system restore from recovery console but I have to type Cd system~1\_resto~1 but I cant get the ~ character to work in the recovery console.I only get a / using that key?I've got a horrible feeling I'll have to do a complete reinstall.

mgmcc 14:07 11 Jan 10

To get the ~ character in DOS, press "Shift" plus the key immediately to the left of the number 1 key in the main keyboard.

Because File names in DOS are limited to the 8.3 format (8 characters, with an extension of 3), long file names are truncated using the ~ character. If the first 6 characters of several files are the same, they will end in ~1 and ~2 etc.

hiwatt 18:48 11 Jan 10

Thank you very much for that tip.In the end I had to do a fresh install of windows.Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now