//some 3rd party need geo

Windows won't boot normally

Mike D 10:22 18 Sep 05

Windows XP Home SP2 with all the latest updates.

Three days ago everything is running normally when I turn off the PC to pop out for a short time. When I next try to boot up, the Windows splash screen appears (the one with the blue blocks) and then it freezes. I have tried all the Windows Trouble shooting wizards (boot.ini,etc.) but can only get back in Safe Mode. I managed to restore an image using True Image, and I'm pretty sure that this image is a good one, but I get same problem. I have even done a clean install of Windows, formatting the disk beforehand and, with the new install the bootup is fine. I then restored the image, only to get the same result. I suppose the image coulsd be duff, but as I said everything was working ok before I went out and the image was taken when I felt I had a "good" install.

Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Mike

Taff36 12:36 18 Sep 05

I would try the recovery console to fix the Master Boot Record (MBR)
1. Insert the Setup compact disc (CD) and restart the computer. If prompted, select any options required to boot from the CD.
2. When the text-based part of Setup begins, follow the prompts; choose the repair or recover option by pressing R.
3. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot system, choose the installation that you need to access from the Recovery Console.
4. When prompted, type the Administrator password.
5. At the system prompt, type fixmbr; type help for a list of commands, or help commandname for help on a specific command.

6.To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit.

Klof Ron 12:39 18 Sep 05

I think you have solved your own problem.

"I have even done a clean install of Windows, formatting the disk beforehand and, with the new install the boot up is fine."

Might be better to bite the bullet and stick with the fresh install. I also have suffered recently from intermittent start up problems, and I wonder if it's anything to do with any recent MS Updates!!

Mike D 16:06 18 Sep 05

Thanks Taff36, I will try that route.
Klof Ron I also have a feeling that youmay be roght.

Mike

Mike D 10:31 20 Sep 05

Taff36 - no joy.

I am still in touch with Acronis who, whilst True Image is not helping me at present, have restored (no pun intended!) my faith in the company.

Thanks
Mike

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…