windows woes

sean-278262 15:48 25 Oct 04

today i decided 2 update my bios on my motherboard from f4 to f11 (latest) it is a gigabyte ga7n400 pro 2. i used @bios to proform the update and it went smoothly, i followed all the instructions and everything went as it should of.

the only problem is now after updating it i cannont stay logged in. after the log on screen the computer boots normally and about 30 or so seconds later it reboots.usually just before it dies MSN messenger fails and i get the do you want to send an error report. Yesterday i tried to update messenger as it offered me to, but it failed on 99%. so overall i cannot work out what is causing the failure to boot normally.

it is like pressing the reboot switch on the case and just starts up with no unusual effects till it gets into windows and the whole process starts again.

any ideas welcomed, as i need the pc asap for work tomorrow.it always happens when you dont need it to doesnt it.ARGH

keith-236785 16:05 25 Oct 04

disable MSN (or uninstall), then see if the pc stays up. sounds like the bios update may have reset the temperature warning settings and the pc is shutting down to protect itself prematurely.

enter the bios and check on the temperature warning settings to ensure they are high enough for your proc 50-60 degrees should be high enough to get the pc to stay up.

best of luck

sean-278262 17:34 25 Oct 04

oddly this was easily fixed i just reverted 2 d old bios no need 4 temp adjustments or unstallin msn.yay. thanks 4 your suggestions anyway paperman.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…