Windows will not update

Mad Mick 16:10 16 Nov 06

When I ask windows to update on my Granddaughters computer it hangs on the "checking on whether the ......." It is a laptop that is networked to a router and the router is connected to a desktop via an ethernet cable. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I rectify this? The laptop is an Acer Aspire running Windows XP bought new 3 months ago.

gudgulf 16:20 16 Nov 06

When you say "hangs" what exactly happens?

The Windows update site can sometimes take forever to check the pc....how long do you leave it before giving up?

Or are you getting an error message?

Mad Mick 16:28 16 Nov 06

Thank you gudgulf. I get an error message to clear out temporary internet files and cookies. This seems to be microsoft's answer to everythingb but it does not resolve the problem. I will try connecting the laptop to the router by ethernet cable tomorrow to see if that resolves the problem. The two computers should be able to update separately, shouldn't they?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…