Windows will not start

alfredgerald 11:46 26 Sep 10

Running Windows XP but no installation disc. When the PC is turned on a black screen appears with a flashing prompt but unable to enter text. Have pressed F12 during start but no options appear. Error message reads, Error has occurred press any key to continue, which just reappears no matter which key I press. This happens no matter which F option I press. Have purchased ‘Ultimate Boot Disc’ which enables me choice of boot. Have chosen Boot from Hard Drive. Works OK and Windows XP starts as normal. Have full functions. If the PC is restarted then I have to go through the same process all over again. What do I need to do to get the PC to boot normally?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:58 26 Sep 10

What tool are you using from the disk to get windows started?

woodchip 12:23 26 Sep 10

Try safe mode f5 as its starting

alfredgerald 13:10 26 Sep 10

Fruit Bat /\0/\ I insert the disc and press F1 and several options appear. I can boot from the disc or from the Hard drive. I Boot from Hard Drive and get full Windows facitlities.

alfredgerald 13:21 26 Sep 10

woodchip none of the F keys work until Windows has started after using the Boot Disk.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:40 26 Sep 10

Sounds like it struggling to find Hard drive on start

As drives get older, they can take longer to get up to speed and become ready (available). This can then exceed the time it takes for the booting to look for the drive - so it doesn't find it.
The solution is often to make the initial part of the boot take longer, by disabling "Quick power on self test and/or making the system look for the floppy drive first by enabling "floppy seek".
Some BIOS even have a facility to put in a delay before the hard disk is checked.

T0SH 17:08 26 Sep 10

If your boot disk has an option to boot to the XP recovery consul you could try typing

fixmbr

then reboot

if still no sucessfull boot go back to the recovery consul and type

fixboot

then reboot

If you can boot into Windows XP using the boot CD you might also try using the windows system restore back to a date before this problem occured

Cheers HC

alfredgerald 18:09 27 Sep 10

Thanks Tosh will give these a try. Cant get to the PC until Saturday so it will be a while until I reply.

alfredgerald 18:13 27 Sep 10

Have managed to obtain an XP installation disc from a friend. Is it possible to repair my problem using the borrowed one or will there be a conflict?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…