Windows, which version is best?? opinions??

Skulkin 18:22 26 Aug 03

Hi all

I am currently using Windows 98SE

I have thought about upgrading to XP

Would this be a good move?

What is accepted as the best version?

Any opinions gratefully accepted

Thanks in advance

Skulk

-pops- 18:24 26 Aug 03

Are you happy with the version you already have?

If yes, stick with it.

bremner 18:30 26 Aug 03

click here

click here

For two recent threads asking a similar question

Gaz 25 18:37 26 Aug 03

A little off track, but I love Linux.

Paranoid Android 18:45 26 Aug 03

If you have a system spec that will comfortably run XP Pro, go for it.

Yes Gaz25, there are some very smooth Linux distributions around, but still a few hardware quirks.

Marvin

KevMac1962 19:00 26 Aug 03

Many a mistake has been made (and lots of time wasted) by trying to download an 'improved' version of something that you find perfectly useable for your needs. You'll need a pretty new spec computer to run XP too (or, come to that, Win2000 or anything else after 98SE). If you're happy using 98SE, I would say stick with it.

pj123 19:03 26 Aug 03

I'm sticking with Win98SE at the moment. Every time I check out the helproom there are far too many problems involving Windows XP. As long as my O/S works and does what I want it to do I won't fix it.

Sam Witch 19:19 26 Aug 03

look at
click here

Windows 98 Second Edition
Product Availability: June 30, 1999

Mainstream Support: June 30, 1999 - June 30, 2002

Extended Support: June 30, 2002 - January 16, 2004

You might just have to change OS as soon you wont get any support or fixes.

nickhick 19:27 26 Aug 03

I had an old laptop with Win 98 that was an upgrade from Win 95. Over the four years that I had this computer the OS became more and more unstable but perhaps I should have reformatted and re-loaded the OS. Anyway I have now bought a new computer with a spec. that would allow the demands of Win XP and am finding it very good, so far that is until it......................................OH dear!!!

Dazwm 19:29 26 Aug 03

Skulkin

What spec is your puter?

Djohn 19:33 26 Aug 03

98se is an excellent operating system, I used it for just over two years, no problems at all, I have put the CD on one side for future use if required. Don't worry about support being withdrawn, this will not affect the O/S in any way, it will carry on working as well as it does now.

I up-graded to XP Pro. mainly because I liked the look of the interface, this O/S also works perfect. Unless you have a need/wish to use XP. [ The best O/S yet, "I think".] Then you can carry on using 98se until you cannot find any hardware/software to work with it. This will be many years yet, and we may all be using different equipment then, than we use at present . Regards. j.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…