Windows Vista Update

dave24 13:12 16 Oct 10

I installed the latest Vista updates yesterday and, after the restart, I now have only two shortcut icons on my desktop - Internet Explorer and recycle bin; the rest have disappeared!

I can still access some of my programs from the Start button, but Windows Mail won't open - a missing file - and Skype appears to need to be re-installed.

Has anybody else had a similar experience? How do I get back to where I was before the update?

birdface 14:41 16 Oct 10

You would need to do a system restore to a time before you ran the updates.
You would then need to switch automatic updates off or they will download again.
Best bet would be then to run the updates manually maybe downloading only one or two at a time less chance of getting problems that way.
Loads of others with the same problem.

dave24 11:12 17 Oct 10

I tried that, but there are no previous restore points, so they seem to have been wiped as well!

birdface 14:00 17 Oct 10

Only way to do it then would be to go to add remove make sure updates is ticked and remove all the latest updates.
You will still have to disable automatic updates or they will install again.

dave24 16:33 17 Oct 10

Thanks buteman. I have now managed to restore to the point prior to the update and all seems now to be OK. I have set Windows Updates to download but not install, but how do I know which ones are OK to install and which will repeat what happened before?

birdface 20:01 17 Oct 10

Just update a couple at a time it will take longer but less chance of getting more problems.
Then if you do get problems you should be able to tell which one is causing it and remove it again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…