windows vista... emergency. 24h responce please

jonnoj 20:58 05 May 07

for the last hour iv been trying to fix my girlfriends little brothers laptop. its relatively new fijitsu siemens amilo. every 5-10 seconds it fires up 2 boxes one saying windows has stopped working and is checking for the problem and the second restarting windows explorer... this is a very a very annoying problem there is no system restor points and the problem starts on startup i figure i need the help its not equipped with any decent anti virus/malware/spyware software only norton which is proving more a pain in the butt than anything else. thankyou.

Graham. 21:07 05 May 07

So the laptop is not functional at all? This could be a major component failure, is it under warranty?

jonnoj 21:28 05 May 07

the laptop is working im using it now its justtheese stupid boxes only let internet explorer stary open (working below standards) but thats about it i tryed installing avg. but its not letting me run anything cos as soon as i open anything it comes up with the boxes and closes everything. i think it is still under warrenty but i imagine its malware or a virus because while i was trying to fix the problem i saw a glimpse of some downloaded dirty videos. who knows what the kids been up to. free virus spyware and malware vista compatible programs? any suggestions?

jonnoj 21:28 05 May 07

the laptop is working im using it now its justtheese stupid boxes only let internet explorer stary open (working below standards) but thats about it i tryed installing avg. but its not letting me run anything cos as soon as i open anything it comes up with the boxes and closes everything. i think it is still under warrenty but i imagine its malware or a virus because while i was trying to fix the problem i saw a glimpse of some downloaded dirty videos. who knows what the kids been up to. free virus spyware and malware vista compatible programs? any suggestions?

have you got a recovery disk? please dont tell me you have installed avg over norton as i imagine this would create all kinds of problems

jonnoj 21:45 05 May 07

not that its worth anything as it wont leave explorer long enough to install anything it waspurchased set up with vista and norton protection no disks or anything. im guessing ill need to keep formatting harddrives as a last resort and after reasearchin more i find that lots of people are suffering from this problem

if you have no disks you should still have a recovery partition, when you first power it up, it should give you a press f? key for recovery

jonnoj 00:24 06 May 07

its kool nowi fonud a disk and its working fine now. ll tell him to watch what he downloads and watches. thankyou everyone. :)

jonnoj 00:33 06 May 07

for future reference if i ever find myself trying to fix thi problem again malware protection? please suggest a viksta friendly solutions

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5