Windows Vista Beta 2

KAI 17:15 28 Jun 06

Hi, Could anybody tell me could i install vista Beta 2 onto a spare hard drive i have on my computer, my c drive has XP OEM version which I have the recovery disc and my d drive is free to try this but I was wondering if anybody could forsee any problems.

Regards

Kai

€dstowe 17:22 28 Jun 06

Lots of people are having lots of problems with installing Vista and it not working as they would wish.

If you rely on a single machine for your computing, take Microsoft's advice and don't do it.

mgmcc 19:58 28 Jun 06

If you actually have two separate hard drives (not two partitions in a single drive) and want to try Vista, I would suggest you completely remove the hard drive with your existing OS on, install the second hard drive as Primary Master and install Vista on that.

I would strongly advise against installing Vista as a dual boot, unless you have something like Ghost or Acronis True Image to copy your existing installation, because it installs additional files in your XP partition, including a Boot Manager. Here is a screenshot of my XP partition "after" and "before" installing Vista - click here

fitcher 21:38 28 Jun 06

this new vista I have ordered (the disc)is it a full install or an upgrade for xp ..if it is an upgrade , will it go on top of my windows 2000 /also .my laptop that is wireless . .has anybody experienced any problems with using it

Jak_1 21:47 28 Jun 06

It is a beta version and peeps are having all sorts of probs, best to leave well alone until the final release version is ready.

rodriguez 21:56 28 Jun 06

I use Vista and haven't had a lot of problems with it, however some software doesn't run properly. Never install Vista as a main OS without a copy of XP that you can go back to.

josie mayhem 22:07 28 Jun 06

You will find that the beta version will not allow a up grade, this option is disabled.

I wouldn't advice putting it on your only computer unless you do mgmcc suggests and have it runing separately, this could mean taking drives on and off,

Also have you checked that the computer is able to run vista?

If you decide to go ahead, be prepared for some hassel, it took me a whole day to get it to see the other computers on my home network, even though tehy could see it, and even connect to it, and I had no promblems with connecting to the interet? How I resolved the issue at the end of the day, I'm not sure... has I tried so many different ways to get it going I'd forgotten which worked in the end!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…