Windows Vista Basic problem - daugher's driving me

posiview 16:17 26 Dec 07

Hi, we have a new Acer laptop with Vista Home Basic.

I set one account a Administrator for me (+ password) and one as standard user for my daughter.

Logged of and went on again later; now both accounts are set as standard user and I can't change one to Administrator.

I set an administrator password and do get a password logon message but there is no field to type in the Administrator password.

Basically, I'm in a catch 22 situation..I have tow standard accounts and cannot make any changes...

Thanks for any assistance...

brundle 16:26 26 Dec 07

Run a command prompt as administrator, type

net user administrator /active:yes

log off, log on to newly available admin account, change account settings for the other accounts

to disable the admin account (from another account of course);

Run a command prompt as administrator, type

net user administrator /active:no

Jim_F 16:32 26 Dec 07

Maybe a misunderstanding - if you logon as an admin user then your admin password is just your user password.

How do you know you don't have admin ? - Vista is a little funny in that its restricts even admin accounts to basic rights and prompts for elevation and may even ask for a password but only when you need it.

Finally - the brute force option could be that you have a repair disk to get you back to the factory settings and start again. I always set up one account for admin that is never my own account - a combination of good practice and bitter experience.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…