Windows Vista

guzgog 16:50 03 Sep 07

I have to get a new computer, at the momentI have an old one running XP. We do card crafting and as we have hundreds of pounds of DVDs and equipment including a Brother all in one printer and a dedicated A6 printer we would like to know if these will work with Vista. The latest DVD is up to XP. Also if we had a new computer could we put the old HDD in and access the data on it,or could we get a modern computer running XP?

Hope you can help

Guzgog

Totally-braindead 17:11 03 Sep 07

Regarding all the items you use, software and hardware make a list. Then goto the manufacturers website and see if its compatible with Vista. For example the Brother printer, goto the Brother website and see if theres a driver for it, same with the software.

If there is a Vista problem then see if the companies are creating updates which you can download.

If all of this seems to be too much bother then you still can get Windows XP. Dell still do it as an example and companies like Novatech will supply a blank PC and supply a OEM copy of XP Home, as an example, for about £60.

Without having a list of the software and hardware you use its impossible to say whether it would all work ok.

A friend of mine uses a program called Quickbooks for his business and he asked me about it, heres the website for it and what it says about Vista click here now I have to stress that this is just an example.
Whether you would have any bother or not really depends on whether the hardware and software manufacturers have bothered their backsides to make their stuff compatible with Vista, some have and some haven't.

I have to stress this is not really Microsofts fault, in my opinion at least, everyone has known that Vista was coming out and some didn't bother updating their programs and drivers. You would have thought that when Vista came out that it was a gigantic surprise to them.

rawprawn 17:33 03 Sep 07

I have a Brother DCP-130C all in one which works fine with Vista
You sound as though you have a company, if so it may be worth looking click here
I have not used it myself, so I can't really recomend it but it's worth a look.at aboout £15

guzgog 20:08 03 Sep 07

Thanks for your advice Our printer is a 120c and we are not a company. We do crafting for non profit as a hobby. But we do get a lot of orders from family/friends ETC so we need to be able to use our equipment inexspensivly.

Guzgog

Totally-braindead 23:19 03 Sep 07

My advice stands, look up the manufacturers of the software/hardware you have and use and see if theres problems with Vista or buy a PC with XP. As I said you can still get them.
I in particular like Novatech they have an excellent reputation for after sales service and their PCs are all built from standard parts, no trouble having to get strange power supplies or low profile graphics cards with them and their prices are good to. Start at £210 for a PC without monitor or operating system click here obviously the more you spend the better/faster PC you get the cheapest ones have onboard graphics but they do all have PCI Express slots so you can add a graphics card if you wish and add on XP Home OEM for £63.50 and for £273.50 you have a complete PC (without a monitor you have to add that and that would be another £90).

guzgog 16:17 23 Sep 07

Re my previous query about Vista.

If I had a new system with Vista loaded could I take my old HDD put it into the new computer as a spare drive and access the programs already installed. I have done this on previous upgrades with very little problems ie fron 98 to ME etc. Is it possible? I now know I will have to download updated drivers.

Thanks Guzgog

jimv7 17:09 23 Sep 07

Download and run the vista upgrade advisor from microsoft, it will tell you of any incompatable hardware

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017