Windows Vista

GeniusKid 18:50 01 Oct 05

When Windows Vista is released next year, will it be available for purchase like Windows XP Home so that I can upgrade if I want, or will it only be available pre-installed on new PCs like Windows XP Media Centre? Also, does anyone know if there will be a Professional version? Thanks a lot.

Chegs ® 19:12 01 Oct 05

There is presently talk of an SP-3 update for users with XP.I have had a read of articles on "Vista" it looks like anyone wanting to use this on their PC will have to spend bucketfulls of cash upgrading everything,just to run an OS!

My view is,that Vista requires so much expensive hardware just to run,there's gonna be nowt left to run MY apps. :-)

click here

GeniusKid 19:19 01 Oct 05

Thanks for this, Chegs.

bremner 19:39 01 Oct 05

Chegs view is not what I have seen and read.

Vista is going to be launched in a number of flavours. (Up to seven has been mooted)

If you want the all singing all dancing mega version 'Aero Glass' then yes you will require a hi spec machine.

However for the average user lesser versions will offer virtually all of the functionality.

I am beta testing Vista at the moment and my machine whilst well speced is not by any means top of the range.

MS are not going to spend millions (if not billions) of dollars's producing Vista if no one can use it on their current machines.

SANTOS7 19:48 01 Oct 05

click here
some good info here..

Chegs ® 21:24 01 Oct 05

Ah,sod it,I'm going to run my XP,until MS cease support,then I'm going to linux fulltime.

How many versions(7)all probably available in a hacked pirated version long before MS release the real thing.

What will Vista do,that XP cannot(that 98se could also do,except for vid editting,as the filesizes were to large for FAT32)

There is no need to get Vista,unless your only interested in bragging to the geeks down the pub.Save your dosh,stay with XP.

malgall 21:52 01 Oct 05

wait and see your best to give it a year or so after launch to sort out any problems by then you will have a good idea if its worth buying

Ancient Learner 22:08 01 Oct 05

That sounds just like the comments made about XP not so long ago.

I do agree with you though. How the heck will you know know which version you need/get. Will there be different prices etc etc. It sounds like a nightmare scene to me!

But there is little doubt that we will all be using it in a couple of years, or so, time. Then there will have to be a special forum here to sort out the chaos - again!

Chegs ® 22:31 01 Oct 05

I'm one of those that swore I wouldn't be going to XP,I tried linux but it seriously affected my social life. :-)

phil46 22:50 01 Oct 05

Oh god if Vista has as many problems as XP did in the first year or so i don't think i will bother.
I have just got WXP to run the way i want it to
but still keep a copy of good old W98 and W2000
as back up OS on my spare hard drive.

Skills 23:47 01 Oct 05

I agree it took them two service packs with XP and you just know it will be the same for vista. Im going to wait till the dust settles.

MS aren't going to make vista need a high spec purely because they want evryone to buy there new OS, but yes if you want the all singing all dancing aero glass then you will probably need a fairly well spec'd machine. After all XP minimum specs where a pentium 233 and 64meg of RAM so...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…