windows very slow to load

DShaughnessy 21:40 22 Dec 04

I have windows XP which is very slow to load. Hangs on Blue screen for at least a couple of minutes.
Had a similar problem with shut down but found a thread to amend the registry files using regedit.

is there a similar method of improving start up?

Thanks

VoG II 21:46 22 Dec 04

click here - you may have to sign-up (free) to read this.

DShaughnessy 09:28 27 Dec 04

Thanks, I followed the link and when I amended the registry as below I see on start up that RPCSS is showing as starting and takes an age. What is RPCSS? Can I delete oor improve the spedd which it opens?

Start by opening the Registry Editor (type 'regedit', without the quotes in Run on the Start menu) and make a backup by going to Export on the File menu. Under File Name type in today's date then click Save and a .reg file will be saved in My Documents. If you need to restore the Registry just double-click the .reg file icon.

Now in Regedit work your way to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsCurrentVersion\Policies\System

Double-click the System icon, right-click into the right hand window, select New > DWORD Value, then whilst it is highlighted rename it 'verbosestatus' (without the quotes) and press Enter. Next right-click on the new key, select Modify and change Value Data from 0 to 1. Exit Regedit and restart your PC and if it spends more than a few moments on any Service or Process the name of the offending item will be displayed on the screen; if you see nothing then you can assume that something else is causing the hold-up. To remove the key right click on it and select Delete.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:02 27 Dec 04

click here will explain what services are and what can be disabled to speddup your start process

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…