//some 3rd party need geo

Windows version security question

willo500 11:03 24 Apr 05

A friend has been advised that if she run any version of windows other than XP that this leaves her open to security threats. I would have thought this is not the case as long as the version is updated regularly. In any case I would have considered that the maing threat came from the browser and email client she is using and so as long as they were up to date she should be fine.

Am I wrong?

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:23 24 Apr 05

She has been told utter rubbish. providing she has an up to date AV click here, a good spyware protector such as MS Antispy click here and any old firewall she will be fine.

G

willo500 11:26 24 Apr 05

Many thanks gandalf,

Will

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:27 24 Apr 05

ps....all the above are free.

G

willo500 17:55 27 Apr 05

could you justlet me know if there is a problem with windows itself not being updated or is it just the browser and email client i need to worry about?

Arnie 18:31 27 Apr 05

If you use Microsoft's Internet Explorer and Outlook Express, the security of these should also be kept reasonably up to date with your Microsoft updates.

willo500 18:54 27 Apr 05

Sorry let me be more clear. I suppose what I am really asking is whether or not it is essential to keep the general windows updates going for security. In other words would it jeopardise the security of the pc if I didn't update the system but outlook express and internet explorer were both up to date ( or I used firefox and thunderbird) but the rest of the updates were not. My idea is that it would only affect the functionality of windows but not jeopardise security. Is this right?

willo500 18:57 27 Apr 05

Forgot to explain. The reason I want to know is because windows me wont let my friend update it for some reason. All attempts to resolve this have failed and the only alternative is to buy a new operating system. She has been told that if she doesn't she will leave herself open to attack from virus and spyware. I say not as long as her browser and mail client are kept secure.

willo500 13:07 28 Apr 05

I should mention that we have made several attempts to update windows unsuccessfully

mr beanz 15:50 28 Apr 05

willo500
check firewall settings, make sure that the microsoft update site hasn't been blocked.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…