Windows validation download trashes my PC

dunderheid 17:15 18 Nov 09

After downloading and installing the Windows Validation Tool from the Microsoft web site, the operating sytem on my PC was totally incapacited on the first cold boot. I could do nothing with the machine at all. Everything I clicked on was frozen, no matter what I tried from a simple text file to an application.

A system restore achieved nothing.

I had to do a format and reinstall of my complete operating system.

I am now loathe to install this validation tool again because of this and would likeadvice on what I should do. Please don't advise me to turn on automatic updates, as I would rather have no updates on my machine at all than turn this thing on.

I would add that before I installed this thing, my OS was performing satisfactorily. I am running Windows XP on a single machine for home use.

What I can't understand is that I have installeed this validation tool before and never had any trouble with it!

PP321 17:27 18 Nov 09

Just try it again, at least if it goes wrong, your on a clean install and you wont loose anything.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…