Windows on USB drive

beeuuem 18:49 14 Feb 11

I'm trying to see if I can make this click here work as an aid to repairing a laptop. Has anyone ever tried this option and got it to work?

All goes well until I actually try to use the USB drive when I get a "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
Windows root>\system32\hal.dll.
Please re-install a copy of the above file." message.

I suspect that it is the boot.ini file that is the problem- but I don't know the solution.

GaT7 19:23 14 Feb 11

Try using another method to create the bootable USB with OS, like click here - this one worked for me. G

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:25 14 Feb 11

you must copy the BOOT.INI, NTLDR, and NTDETECT from the root directory of your PC's boot drive to the flash drive. These files are hidden by default, so you will either have to configure Windows Explorer to show hidden files (including protected operating system files) or you will have to open a Command Prompt window and use the COPY command to copy the files.

beeuuem 19:51 14 Feb 11

Thanks for the replies.
Crossbow7 I had looked at that but that is for loading Windows. Accorfing to the Tomshardware site, when properly configured, it should be possible to run Windows from the USB drive.

Fruit Bat /\0/\
I have those file on the USB. The error is what suggested that the problem may be the boot.ini file
click here
"This behavior can occur if any or some of the following conditions are true:
The Default value in the [Boot Loader] section of the Boot.ini file is missing or invalid.
Windows XP is not installed in the location specified in the Boot.ini file."

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:20 14 Feb 11

Your boot.ini file probably refers to c: drive
you may need to change the referances to A:\

beeuuem 20:45 14 Feb 11

That sounds as if it could be problem.
Will see if I can work it out.

beeuuem 23:10 14 Feb 11

I tried using Ramdisk on the drive - get error Ramdisk.sys corrupt.

Have give up!!
Thanks and goodnight

robin_x 00:42 15 Feb 11

Alternative could be try a Hiren's Boot CD/USB.

Try burning or making boot USB with ImgBurn or unetbootin respecively.

Hiren's mini-XP could be useful. (although it takes ages to load on my laptop-3-4 mins?)

Also need to mount drives etc. I only had a quick look see. Lots of utils on it.

Or try a Linux distro (Ubuntu/Mint/Puppy) if you just want to boot and copy files elsewhere, or browse the web for help.

click here

click here;2

click here;1

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…